Welcome back readers! Thursday was the fourth day of excavations and my group of field schoolers continue to excavate within the fort. Prem, Sarah and I continued to delve deeper into the road way to expose its 3rd century phase. As we all know, we’ve been working on this road since Monday, and although we’ve had our hopes dashed before while thinking that we’ve found the road which we wanted, we are now confident that we have the right road! It only took us four days! Northern England isn’t exactly known for its nice weather, but surprisingly we’ve had great weather for the past two days. We’ve had beautiful sunny skies!
At first it was hard to distinguish whether or not something in the dirt was just in fact dirt or something much more interesting, like some sort of artifact. But note to self, something is not always something, but most likely it’s just disappointing dirt. However, I have found that it has become easier to sift through the dirt and to actually recognize artifacts. For instance I noticed that there was something in the soil today that didn’t look like dirt, but something much more interesting.
I continued to excavate around the object and noticed that it was very large indeed! It just kept going! I called Sarah and Prem over and we realized that it was a cow’s shoulder blade! It was definitely a challenge to get it out of its position, and it was already somewhat chipped. As I started to move it, it started to disintegrate, so I proceeded with caution.
I am looking forward to getting back into the field tomorrow and possibly finding more interesting Roman things! I’ll keep you posted!