I have spent a significant amount of my time in Vindolanda in the north-east extention of the trench. At first it consisted of deturfing the area and then digging smaller hole after smaller hole. Finally we reached clay and silt. This was at first (and still is a little bit) a challenge Professor Greene pointed out the difference in material. In the beginning mostly looked the same to me! It didn’t help that it had rained so much that it was super muddy. Eventually I started to get the hang of it. The silt was a lot easier to cut through and more crumbly than the tightly packed slicker clay material. But of course my life would be too easy if it was ideal conditions and the ditch began getting wet even though it wasnt raining. Apparently ground water was seeping up and making my poor ditch constantly wet and muddy.
We ended last week by scraping the bottom of the ditch. This week they will have to finish digging out the edges of the ditch while I spend my week in the vicus. I can’t wait to see it when I get back!
In the meantime, take care!